Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Wonder Boys

Whenever reading a book, I imagine the characters in my head, but that image does not always correspond with the author's description. Throughout the book, had trouble seeing Grady Tripp as an overweight man in his 50's, and Emily being Korean. Although I did not watch the movie, I saw a preview, and the actors did not match Chabon's descriptions, either. Tripp is not as fat as he is in the book, Hannah Green is not blonde, and James Leer does not have long oily hair. However, those are just minor irrelevant things. It seems like the actors captured the characters' personalities perfectly.

Also, the movie is more of a comedy than I thought the book was. Yes, Chabon uses humor throughout, but I found it to be more of a depressing story, filled with adultery, murder, depression, drugs, etc. Netflix, however, says that it is a "feel-good" movie, and Rolling Stone calls it a "comic dazzler." I do not know, maybe this preview is misleading , but if it is not, I feel that the movie does not reflect the mood of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment